5 common questions and answers about child support

| Dec 10, 2019 | Child Support |

Child support is a divisive subject for divorcing couples and a touchy subject for the partner that ends with the short end of the stick. The conclusion that equates to paying your ex.

Also, considering the legalities of child support, questions are numerous.

Below are answers to some of the more common questions surrounding child support.

1. What are the determining factors of child support?

Each state has a reasonable and unbiased method to determine the amount your ex must pay. A set factor that plays into the amount of child supports determined are you and your ex’s monthly incomes. Extra factors could include you or your ex’s other child support obligations and how many children you each support, among others specific to each situation.

2. Is child support income taxed?

Child support income is not taxed. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will allow you to obtain a child tax exemption if you pay for 50% or more of your child’s required support.

3. Is it possible to receive an increase in child support?

If this is an avenue you would like to pursue, your child’s needs must have changed, and you must be able to show provable evidence of said changes. A couple of need adjustments examples are the occurrence of a new medical issue or supporting special educational needs.

4. What can I do if I haven’t received child support payments for a few months?

If your ex hasn’t paid up for a few months, you have some legal options. You could contact the state child support agency for help. If your ex gets too far behind on their payments, wage or tax return garnishment can be enforced to pay back withstanding debts. Also, the state could choose to suspend the payor’s driver’s license until they are up to date on their child support obligations.

5. Should I expect to stop receiving child support payments no if the payor gets laid off?

If your ex loses their job and is unable to pay the determined amount, they will likely file a petition for a child support payment modification. The court will probably catch your ex if they are trying to pull off a scam. There isn’t a high likelihood that the petition is approved unless the payor’s finances are in dire need of support due to a personal injury, medical issue, or a sustained period of unemployment.

To close, you and your partner can agree on child support payments without the involvement of a court. The overarching qualification is that the payment amount must be equal to or exceed the amount that would show on your state’s child support calculator.